Sunday, September 18, 2005

Bus Races at Berlin Raceway

Sam asked if I would like to go see the Bus Races at Berlin Speedway. So, having nothing scheduled for last night, I decided that it would be interesting to go out there and see the buses race. It was more of a car race with a Bus special event than a bus race but, it was interesting.

It provided a great opportunity to people watch. People that I do not see on a regular basis. There were a few women in evening gowns [seemed odd] but mostly people in jeans & t-shirts which was OK by me. I would be remiss if I failed to mention the giant foam Cowboy hats (which you could not see around if you had one in front of you) and the t-shirt of the day? F... Milk. Got Beer?

Sam and I ate before we went out there as I am not a big fan of overpriced, carni-style food. However, it was interesting to see what others were eating. Buckets of fries, and what I thought were batter dipped french fries [how much grease do you need in one fry?] but Sam insisted they were chicken strips. Hmmm. There were lots of cans of beer and wine-type coolers for sale, along with krispie creme donuts, ice cream, and cotton candy.

Back to the race, the stock cars went around in circles, some hitting the others but mostly trying to avoid hitting others or speeding out of control. Their cars cost a lot more [than fig. 8 cars] so they probably do not want to smash them up. The bus races were a little tense as they are SO BIG on that little track so that was fun.

I think the figure 8 races that I went to were a little more exciting because there was always some smashing going on. Junker cars roaming around on the track smashing into each other at the center of the 8. Perhaps it is because a friend of mine is just crazy enough to ride in the figure 8s that I enjoy those more. Who knows.

No comments: