Sunday, October 16, 2005

Headhuggers, Not tree huggers


About 8 months ago a bunch of women at the office invited me to "knitting, lunch, and learn". Since I had NO idea how to knit, I decided to sit in and see what these women were doing. First project, a ten-inch square which would later be turned into a quilt and donated. It was not that easy as I am left handed and nearly everyone else was right-handed. Oh well. I finally figured it out after reading Stitch 'N Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook by Debbie Stoller. (a very fun book for someone interested in learning to knit. Young & hip. Not old and boring.)
The next thing was to make Chemo Caps. A very nice thing to do for people that have lost their hair to Chemotherapy. Well, that seemed to go quite well and soon I had 2 hats made. The first hat was a bit large (even too big for my bucket head) but, would work with a pretty ribbon. The third hat in the pic was my dad's girlfriend's first hat. Not too shabby. I finally bundled them all up and sent them off to
Headhuggers to distribute to those in need. I hope they enjoy them. Now I need to knit one for myself since winter is approaching. Next donation? My hair. I am close to the 10" (plus 2" to cleanup & style) needed to send off to Locks of Love. That will be my 5th donation to Locks of Love since 1999. At 12" each time, that means I will have cut off 60" inches of hair since 1999. Yikes!

No comments: