Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Men and their cars

Much like new moms want pictures of their new babies, men love their cars (and pictures of them).

This was obvious on Sunday when I went to the Harvest Happening at the Waterford Hills Race Track. There were lots of men with their cars on display before each of them took a turn or two on the race track. The hoods were open for all to see. (Unless of course you had not customized it) All sorts of cars: Corvettes, a Trans Am, kit cars, a lot of Mustangs, a Ford Focus, and a few imports. The guys really love their cars. I think they love them as much as women love babies. They even want pictures of their cars to hang in their office or the garage. I guess the pics bring back memories of life with the car? Good times had in the back seat? At the wheel? Cleaning it? I dunno.
Oh well. As a woman my need to photograph my car is not really that strong. However, after growing up in the Detroit area, (new car Mecca) I have an affinity for the automobile. It was great living in that area since there were always new cars on the roads that had not released to the public yet.
My first Car? A 1970 Chevrolet Station Wagon that was big enough to put a sunfish boat in the back end and head out to the lake. It was the green machine with the seat in the way back.

It was great. Some of the other cars I had the privilege of driving:
  • 1976 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Rag Top (Cherry Red w/white Top)
  • 1980 Mercury LN7
  • 1982 Lincoln Town Car (Black, w/ moon roof) I was styling in this car but caught hell for driving it from my artist boyfriend in college.
  • 1986 Chevy Cavalier (the first car I bought --for $3k sold it for $2k 5 years later.)
  • 1989 Toyota Camry (USED- totaled before I bought it. : ( --got my money back when I discovered it)
  • 1988 Ford Crown Victoria (interim car until I got cash back for Camry 1)
  • 1996 Volkswagen Golf (my first new car)
  • 2002 Toyota Camry (my second new car--love it)

What was your first car? Your Favorite car?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first car: A Plymouth Valient w/ slant 6 engine. Bucket seats- automatic on the floor.
My favorite car had to be my Toyota MR2. What a sweet 2-seater. I literally cried when I had to give it up for a minivan. The cost of having a newborn!

pairadocs said...

First car: '91 Chevy S-10... Drove that for about 8 years... carried many a friend in the back under the tanoe cover...

Favorite car: 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse... until I had to trade it in and get a 4-door, "family-friendly" car... :(